Can a college student take legal action if a college changes policy on obtaining a double major?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Rockville, MD

My son enrolled in a community college in January 2011 working to meet the requirements for 2 majors with 60 credits as shown by transcripts . He has met the requirements for both . However Summer 2012 , the school revised the policy stating that in order to obtain a second degree a student must now take 15 ( random ? ) additional credits even though all the requirements have been met . We weren't made aware of the new policy until he applied for graduation as he approached his last semester . The registrar of the school said she made an appeal to the Academic Regulation Board for him and they denied his appeal . It would seem to me that students already enrolled and declared double majors before the new policy should be grandfathered under the old policy .

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The school could have provided for grandfathering, but it is doubtful that is legally required. It's an issue of contract law. Check your admission and enrollment materials for each term in which your son was admitted. These, along with the school's rules and regs at the time of admission, are your contract. In most cases, the school has expressly reserved the right to make changes in degree requirements and class offerings. Where that right has been reserved to the school in its sole discretion, that is likely to be a valid contract provision. But it would have been courteous and high-minded to allow mid-course students to complete under the original terms. You can try an appeal to the school's executive staff.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more

Related Topics

Education law

Education law focuses on issues in schools and universities, such as appealing suspensions and expulsions, or updating IEPs (Individualized Education Programs).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,354 answers this week

3,338 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,354 answers this week

3,338 attorneys answering