Can a college nursing program kick a student out of the program 2 weeks before graduation ?

Seattle, WA |
Filed under: Education law

I need an attorney to represent my daughter who has been told she should consider a different career than nursing 2 weeks before graduation. The meeting is on Monday.
Her grades are passing. This quarter her clinical instructor told her she thought she should consider another career.

It would be helpful to have greater details. Generally, a university may not act in an arbitrary manner in ways that negatively affect a student's academic progress. Action must be taken in accordance with valid standards of academic evaluation. A student who is concerned that he/she is being treated in a subjective and arbitrary fashion outside the standards of evaluation, may initiate an academic grievance. If the program is alleging academic misconduct or student misconduct, a different policy may apply. In either scenario, your daughter will have administrative appeal rights. It would be helpful to your daughter to understand the policies that apply before engaging in a meeting.

This is not legal advise and no attorney/client relationship has been formed. The above educational information is general in nature and not legal advise.

A student can be dismissed at any time -- even 2 hours before graduation, assuming that there is a proper ground for dismissal -- or any discipline at all. What is important is the reason -- not the timing. (On adequate grounds, schools can even dismiss a student retroactively -- after graduation -- and rescind any degrees or certifications that have been conferred.)The school has adopted an administrative process for resolving disputes about academic and misconduct matters. Your daughter needs to invoke that administrative appeals process to determine whether the school is acting within its proper discretion or whether she has a right not to be dismissed. Your post is oddly uninformative about the reasons for the dismissal and it may be that your daughter has more info than she has shared with you.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law