Can a college nursing program kick a student out of the program 2 weeks before graduation ?

Asked about 2 years ago - Seattle, WA

I need an attorney to represent my daughter who has been told she should consider a different career than nursing 2 weeks before graduation. The meeting is on Monday.
Her grades are passing. This quarter her clinical instructor told her she thought she should consider another career.

1. Liza E. Burke

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . It would be helpful to have greater details. Generally, a university may not act in an arbitrary manner in ways that negatively affect a student's academic progress. Action must be taken in accordance with valid standards of academic evaluation. A student who is concerned that he/she is being treated in a subjective and arbitrary fashion outside the standards of evaluation, may initiate an academic grievance. If the program is alleging academic misconduct or student misconduct, a different policy may apply. In either scenario, your daughter will have administrative appeal rights. It would be helpful to your daughter to understand the policies that apply before engaging in a meeting.

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

1

Answered . A student can be dismissed at any time -- even 2 hours before graduation, assuming that there is a proper ground for dismissal -- or any discipline at all. What is important is the reason -- not the timing. (On adequate grounds, schools can even dismiss a student retroactively -- after graduation -- and rescind any degrees or certifications that have been conferred.)The school has adopted an administrative process for resolving disputes about academic and misconduct matters. Your daughter needs to invoke that administrative appeals process to determine whether the school is acting within its proper discretion or whether she has a right not to be dismissed. Your post is oddly uninformative about the reasons for the dismissal and it may be that your daughter has more info than she has shared with you.