Can a college hold back transcripts when you a have a tuition balance?Is it legal?

Asked over 4 years ago - Poughkeepsie, NY

my daughter wants to apply to another college.I have paid the college 70 thousand so far and now have a balance of 17 thousand. My husband lost his job and i am trying to come up with the money but i wont have it paid off until after the new college deadline for transcripts. The college wont release them until i pay it off. Is this legal? thanks nancy b

1. Carlos Gonzalez

Pro

Answered . The short answer is yes, you have no legal right to specific documents and as a result they may properly hold them till the balance is paid in full, almost ALL institutions do this

2. L. Maxwell Taylor

Answered . I know of no principle of law that is violated when an institution withholds transcripts until an outstanding tuition obligation is paid in full. Seems like a pretty effective device for ensuring that the school gets paid. I have included a link below to an article entitled "Withholding Academic Transcripts and Diplomas" which discusses the subject.

I'm not licensed in New York so don't take what I say here as legal advice. If you need legal advice, please consult a lawyer who holds New York licensure.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now