Can a collections agency legally put a hold on a person's bank account and confiscate their funds?

Manchester, CT |

A collections agency put a hold on my account and confiscated ALL of my funds. They also charged me $100 fee for confiscating my funds! I received NO notification of any kind. How can this be legal? Wouldn't I have had to receive a registered letter, court document, or a court date? The bank was not helpful to me at all; they just handed over my entire account and gave me limited information.

Unfortunately, if a creditor has a judgment against you, they can do some pretty nasty things...including clearing out bank accounts. At this point, you best option to get that stopped is probably bankruptcy. Most bankruptcy attorneys offer a free initial consultation and can give you an idea of what options you may have. Good luck.

You need to find a consumer attorney, or one that works on debt collection defense as soon as possible. You should also go to your local court and find out what happened (or the lawyer you speak to can do this during your consultation). It seems like you were sued but never knew of this. There are a host of reasons this could have occurred. Act quickly if you want any hope of gettin your money back.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt