Can a collections agency demand an 8 year old credit card debt which has been purged from my bureau be paid

Asked over 1 year ago - Canada, KY

The debt is not on my credit bureau

1. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

3

Answered . Whether the debt appears on your credit report is irrelevant. The only issue is what the statute of limitations is on this debt under the laws of your state (you can find this out by a search of the laws on the state website), when you last paid this debt, and most important, whether the creditor has sued you & obtained a court judgment. Hope this perspective helps!

2. David Brent Cox

Pro

1

Answered . Ms. Bunce is correct. In addition, you need to talk to an attorney in your state about what your obligations may or may not be at this time. Don't let the collection agency "bully" you in to paying something that you may not have a legal obligation to pay.

3. Michael Avanesian

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with Dorothy. The only thing I'd like to add is that it is up to you to raise a defense like the statute of limitations; they can still sue!