Can a collections (law firm) on a red light ticket be enforced? I have 30 days to respond upon receipt of letter that was mailed

Asked about 3 years ago - Grand Prairie, TX

I received a red light camera ticket in the mail and ignored it. I receintly received a notice by mail from a law firm for collections on the camera ticket, and I have 30 days to respond for dispute upon receipt of the letter, no response validates the debt. The letter was not certified return receipt. Can this collections letter be enforced? there's no proof that I ever received it?. And is the camera ticket really enforceable in Texas?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Richard Timothy Jones

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . This is generally treated as a civil matter. A judgement against you could effect your credit. It is better to deal with it now rather than later.

    This is intended as only general legal advice. Feel to visit my website, more
  2. Cameron Gray

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Take a look at the address from the firm that sent you the letter. Do you really think they are going to sue you? !! Red light camera tickets in Grand Prairie are a joke. Throw the letters in the trash. This is nothing more than an attempt by the City of Grand Prairie to raise money. It happens all of the time....forget it. I have pitched the last two red light tickets in the trash and ignored the letters...not a problem. I tell all of my clients to do the same

  3. Theodore W. Robinson

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Wherever the camera is located (meaning in whatever state) there is usually legislation that allows for jurisdiction. That can subsequently be enforced in Virginia and if a Judgment is eventually issued (which is likely) then it may be enforceable in Texas.

    As for service by mail, there is usually a statute that allows for service by mail and you may rebut it if, in fact, you did not receive the mail. If you do confront whether you were served, it could still go through if the state wants to enforce it.

    You may call our office at 516-248-6600 or send an email to us at This answer does not form... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,162 answers this week

2,866 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,162 answers this week

2,866 attorneys answering