Skip to main content

Can a collection agency get your drivers license suspended for not paying a demanded amount of money stemming from an accident

Chicago, IL |

There has not been a court order or judgment yet or summons served.

Attorney Answers 3


It is the Secretary of State, not a collection agency that will revoke your driving privileges if you had no proof of financial responsibility when you were the at-fault driver in an accident.

You must contact the insurance company who is trying to get their money back and try to arrange a repayment schedule or your license will be revoked.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links:

Mark as helpful

9 lawyers agree


Only the Secretary of State can suspend your license. The collection agency is enforcing a debt related to an incident involving property damage in which you were involved. You would need to contact the Secretsry of State to determine whether your license is suspended or whether you need to enter into an installment agreement.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


The SOS can. Contact them to find out the status.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics