Can a collection agency freeze a bank account that my partner and I share, even though we are not married?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sapulpa, OK

old credit card from 2002, has been charged off, but new company is pursuing

1. 1

Answered . If you are a co-owner of the account, then everything in that account is subject to levy. Basically, since you could walk into the bank today and clean out the account, they can levy everything in the account as well. Your partner could try to make a showing what is theirs shouldn't be taken, but they'd have to do it AFTER everything has been seized. You need separate accounts.

2. Answered . I agree with the previous response, but would add that the collection agency cannot freeze your account without a judgment from the court.