Can a collection agency freeze a bank account that my partner and I share, even though we are not married?

Sapulpa, OK |

old credit card from 2002, has been charged off, but new company is pursuing

1. If you are a co-owner of the account, then everything in that account is subject to levy. Basically, since you could walk into the bank today and clean out the account, they can levy everything in the account as well. Your partner could try to make a showing what is theirs shouldn't be taken, but they'd have to do it AFTER everything has been seized. You need separate accounts.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

2. I agree with the previous response, but would add that the collection agency cannot freeze your account without a judgment from the court.