Can a collection agency collect from a foreigner without SSN?

Lafayette, LA |

.

1. Debt collection laws limit the manner in which a debt collector can operate. The debt collector cannot use "abusive" or unfair collection tactics. If the "foreigner" incurred a debt then the collector can seek to collect it. If you are asking if the collector can locate a foreigner without a ssn it might make it more difficult to locate the foreinger.

The answer given is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Dwight Bowen is a consumer attorney and may be contacted at (404) 880-3310.

2. Provided the foreigner has property that isn't protected under the laws where the foreigner lives, a creditor can obtain a court judgment & collect money from anyone, with or without a social security number.

So what is protected? I am posting a link to a descriptions of the laws throughout the US.

Hope this perspective helps!

3. Yes it can, but they cannot do anything harassing or in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act in their attempts to do so. In my opinion, they cannot do certain things if you do not have credit and property in this country. If they know they cannot do something and still make threats about things that they cannot do, that is where they might be violating the law. feel free to call my office and may be able to try to put you in touch with an attorney who may be able to assist you.

Please do not take my answer to be legal advice that would establish any attorney-client relationship. Please take it as a general response from my own experience in response to your question. I hope you find it helpful.