Can a code enforcement officer legally issue a summons/ticket?

Asked over 4 years ago - Pryor, OK

I thought that only a peace officer could issue tickets. As far as I know, the code enforcer isn't a peace officer. Just someone who works for the city. How does that work? Why can he issue a summons? How can he legally fine someone?

It's not a moving violation or parking violation ticket. It's for "ordinances that weren't followed" on my property. I can see where people would think he can issue you tickets, but really, if he's not a peace officer, can he?

To anyone who responds: please show supporting evidence. An actual statute or statute number would be good. Thanks.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. John Hunsucker

    Contributor Level 13


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Go to the Pryor City Hall and ask for a copy of the city ordinances. The power to issue the citation would be vested there. However, a citzen can make an arrest for a crime by making a verfied complaint so the the code enforcement officer has this as a fall back. See Oklahoma Statute Title 11 Section 27-115

  2. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Call the Pryor OK administrator. That office will provide you with the enabing statute and local ordinance that you as a property owner must comply with.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,436 answers this week

2,719 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,436 answers this week

2,719 attorneys answering