Can a co worker record you conversation

Minneapolis, MN |

while asking a co worker to break me she went into her phone and started recording the conversation

1. Nothing you stated is illegal, maybe against company policy, but not illegal.

For a free consultation, call 612-217-0077. This information is general in nature. You should not rely on this information as legal advice, as each case is unique. This information does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are in need of legal advice concerning a particular matter, you are encouraged to contact us at your earliest convenience.

2. The other attorney who answered is correct, I just wanted to give you a little more information. most states have a one party consent rule and this means that if you are part of a converstion you are allowed to record. You cannot leave a recorder on in a meeting that you are not present for, that would be illegal. Here is a link for reference about federal law and the laws of the various states.

http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-america.htm

3. I agree if you are part of the conversation the recording is legal. I would let HR know of the event as it may be harassment or violate a company policy and is weird,

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.