Can a co-signer on auto refinance if the word "OR" separates their name?

Asked over 1 year ago - West Palm Beach, FL

Long story short: I co-signed on a car (dumb). Other owner is nowhere to be found (and has the car with no registration or insurance) and I've been making all payments to save my awesome credit. Since 'or' separates our names on the loan as well as me having papers where I was given power of attorney to handle means of this automobile, may I refinance the car in my name, notify co-owner's next of kin, and report the car stolen?

1. Heather Morcroft

Answered . You could refinance or buy a new car if you could get a loan, but that may be very difficult to do if you don't have possession of the car.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******