Can a co-owner license be suspdend for an auto accident?

Asked over 1 year ago - Memphis, TN

I (owner) was in a car accident with no insurance and has been found to be at fault. I know that if I don't make arrangments with the other driver insurance company my license can be suspended if a judgement is won against me. My question is can they suspend the co-owner license as well even if they were not involved in the accident and had no idea that I did not have insurance coverage? He needs his license to survive CDL driver.

Pro

6

Answered . Yes, but try to work out a payment plan with them to avoid this, and please get insurance.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  2. James Edward Blount IV

4

Answered . Are you sure the co-owner is actually on the title? If so, then the co-owner's license could be suspended. However, if he just co-signed
    on the car loan, he will probably be ok. Double check the title.

3. Sean Michael Patrick

5

Answered . Yes. Generally it is because the car had no insurance as required under state law. You can likely resolve the issue by obtaining insurance and providing proof to the DMV.

4. Christopher Gilreath

2

Answered . Despite having a state law requiring auto insurance for car owners, Tennessee also has older laws that pre-date the insurance rules that allow registered owners to be held financially responsible for causing harm to someone else. If you and the co-owner are equally listed on records with the state, then there is a possibility that the other owner's license could be suspended. However, it could only happen through an administrative hearing through the Department of Safety. You would get a letter notifying you of that fact before a suspension hearing happened. You would have to respond to keep from having your license suspended, and explain the circumstances. Finding a way to compensate the injured party would go a long way to stopping that from happening. See also the link below to the Tennessee Department of Safety web page, which contains a host of information about the license suspension process and necessary forms to use when no insurance is available.