Can a civil demand letter be a problem for someone who wants to become a US citizen?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

This person was not arrested, there were no police called and there were no criminal charges pressed against him. He paid off the amount from the letter. From my understanding a civil lawsuit record exists. Is the person's name going to be on the civil lawsuit record, because of the fact that he paid off the demand. And if so, does the CIS review this record when a person applies for US citizenship? Can someone be denied US citizenship if he has no criminal record, but his name shows up on the civil lawsuit record? And one last question. Is it true that if a person pays off the amount from a civil demand letter, his name is added to some kind of national emloyer database? Thanks in advance!

1. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

3

Answered . Please take a look at this blog post to see the number of things that are examined as a part of Naturalization applications.

http://www.swagatusa.com/archives/776

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. Judy A. Goldstein

1

Answered . Your understanding about a civil lawsuit record is incorrect. You should not have played lawyer and advised your friend. Yes, that person's name is probably on a national database now.

Now the non-citizen could have a problem although it might not be too late to fix it. He or she needs to discuss this matter with an immigration LAWYER - not a lay peprson. I will transfer the question.

3. Robert Henry Beer

1

Answered . Your question seems to be whether the USCIS would consider this person to be a person of good moral character for naturalization purpose. Your question CANNOT be answered here. Each . case is CASE SPECIFIC. As rule, the USCIS only cares about crimes BUT.......I highly suggest that you seek either my legal advice or that of one of my esteemed colleagues. can be reached at either (770)955-785 or via e-mail at bob@bobeer.com. Our Spanish line is (678)591-9235. I will be in Chicago next month. Hope this helps. Wishing you well. THINK IMMIGRATION - THINK BOB BEER