Can a city print in the news paper that an employee was fired

Washington, MO |

Weeks before I was terminated for job performance due to back injuries the city passes an ordinance stating its not public record to discuss personal issues in a public meeting. today my name is in the paper stating I was terminated and this was discussed in a open city council meeting do I have grounds to file any kind of suit or what if any legal action do I have the right to .

1. It depends on the statement and whether that statement was true. Most personnel matters are only private because public announcements of terminations and cause of terminations could lead to claims of defamation. Of course it also might depend on the ordinance that was passed and whether the city violated its own ordinance. So, the analysis would be, was the statement made publicly, a statement of fact, that was untrue, and caused damage?