Can a city or town go into your personnal bank account and levy taxes owed for car tax . I thought only the IRS was allowed to d

Naugatuck, CT |
Filed under: Tax law

I do owe them taxes for my car but they went into my account and took it out

The IRS is not the only taxing authority that can do this as you now know.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

More and more states are catching on to the levy game. This sounds like a pure CT State / County mechanism.

Find out the particulars and write local articles.

Talk to your bank and ask them if there is a safer account available.

Talk to other banks in other cities and states and find out their policy.

You must be angry about this and if you publicize it, it may lead to a changing of the law.

This is your country / state / town. Take action. Talk to your legislators about changing the law. Spearhead a referendum.

When you overwithhold to the point that you get a refund that is more than $5, the taxpayer is hurting himself. This money simply represents a

loan of taxpayer money to the government for which the taxpayer is not compensated with any interest. Even worse, the tax refund can be taken.

What needs to be done is to adjust your withholding to a rate that will project to little or almost no tax withholding on income taxes. Wouldn't the

money be better used when it was earned rather than leaving it on a table for others to take?

Please remember to designate your question's BEST ANSWER.

Curt Harrington
(562) 594-9784
Curt: http://patentax.com/curt/index.html
Visit the Library: http://patentax.com/library/

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.

Any judgment creditor - and that usually includes a state or a local municipality with a properly recorded tax debt against you - can seek to execute on the judgment by levying on your personal property, including your bank accounts. In short, the IRS is not the only government agency that can levy on your bank accounts.

Based on the scant facts you've provided there is no earthly way for anyone on this forum to say whether or not what was done was done according to law or not. If you want an answer to that you should consult with competent local counsel (either an attorney or an accountant with experience in this particular area). You should most definitely not rely on any answer you get for free online from a forum such as this without consulting with local counsel.

Tax law topics