Can a citation stop a 14 year old child getting a green card?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

Child on non immigrant L2 visa, gets a citation from school police officer for him and group of peers playing with fire crackers. Can this stop this child getting a green card to this citation being Juvenile delinquency record. Other than this totally clean record in the US and abroad.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Irene Vaisman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It should not, but must be disclosed on the I-485 and whenever ready to file it, give the certified criminal disposition to the attorney working on the case for final advice

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  2. Haroen Calehr


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . very unlikely but do not fail to disclose on green card application (I-485).

  3. Inara Khashmati


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . unlikely, but speak to an attorney in your state in person. good luck!

  4. Shachar S. Malachovsky

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It really depends on the exact code of how the case was disposed of but it sounds like it will not stop his green card. He will need a certified disposition and he must disclose it on his adjustment application. I would urge you to consult with an experienced immigration attorney to review the citation and disposition before filing.

    DISCLAIMER: The information you obtained in this answer is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice and it... more
  5. Tripti Sharad Sharma

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Discuss your case with a competent immigration attorney.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,614 answers this week

2,972 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary