Can a citation for possession of paraphernalia be expunged if fine was paid?

Asked about 1 year ago - Silver Spring, MD

Marijuana paraphernalia if that matters (cigar). Ordered to pay a fine. Only a citation. No arrest , no booking, just a citation was issued. Also when I looked at case details it says guilty.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Scott R. Scherr

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you were found guilty, this conviction cannot be expunged. However, you can file a Motion to Modify within 90 days of the conviction and ask that the conviction be converted to probation before judgment and keep your record clean. If you had an attorney, you should contact them to do it. If you represented yourself, you should consider hiring an attorney. If the conviction is stricken and probation before judgment is entered, you would be eligible for expungement three years later. This is important because potential employers will be able to see the conviction online and could jeopardize your job prospects.

    Contact an attorney right away.

    Office: 410-821-2910; e-mail: This answer is being given for general informational... more
  2. Jason W Cleckner Esq.


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Not if the final verdict and disposition was guilty. But if you act quickly enough, we may be able to change that, and you have a couple of options.

    Nothing posted on Avvo or in response to an Avvo question or request is intended to be considered legal advice.... more
  3. William Lawrence Welch III

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Convictions may not be expunged. More information about expungement can be found at

    Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,346 answers this week

2,904 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,346 answers this week

2,904 attorneys answering