Can a chiropractor form a corporation with an unlicensed individual to perform medical management services?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lakewood, CA

The corporation will perform billing services and contract with satellite facilities to provide health care to personal injury patients. The chiropractor and the unlicensed partner will be compensated on a percentage basis after each PI case settles.

1. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

2

1

Answered . Such an arrangement can be possible. But because it is fact specific, and there are plenty of prohibitions involved, you will need to find a healthcare attorney near you.

2. Christopher Edward Ezold

Pro

2

Answered . Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law apply, unless otherwise specified.

That being said, you are asking a very complicated question involving the corporate practice of medicine, anti-kickback laws, etc. You should meet with an experience health care attorney for the state in which you intend to do business in order to iron out these issues - they are too complicated to answer on Avvo. Furthermore, you may want to consider one company for billing services and a second for the provision of health care services - I would be very hesitant to mix the two under any circumstances. The recent changes in health care law mean that an error in billing or a violation of antikickback and Stark laws can create felony liability for you if you are not careful.

/Christopher E. Ezold/
    The Ezold Law Firm, P.C.
    One Belmont Avenue,
    Suite 501
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
    (610) 660-5585
    Cezold@Ezoldlaw.com
    www.ezoldlaw.com

3. Norman Antonio Stiteler

2

Answered . I am not licensed in California, so you will have to seek advice from a California Attorney for a more precise analysis; but based on the information you have included, that they will not actually be performing any medical procedures, merely managing the case for the companies, I can't see why not. However, if the Choropractor begins to engage in separable chiropractic rather than case management or billable activities, my answer would probably change.