Can a child support obligation be completely negated if both parents agree and submit paperwork to the court in Oregon?

Eugene, OR |

Non custodial parent lives in Colorado (military) and custodial parent lives in Oregon. If they submit a modification to the court and they both agree, can a child support order be completely eliminated? Both parties have since remarried. The non custodial parent is signing over parental rights to one of the children to the stepfather (the other child does not want to be adopted by the stepfather). Because of the financial means afforded the custodial parent by the new spouse, they have agreed to eliminate child support as well as any financial responsibility for either child once a judge has signed off. As far as I can tell from what I've read on the Oregon page for child support, there shouldn't be any issue. Can you confirm?

1. When stepdad adopts the child ALL future child support is terminated. This requires a consultation with a family law attorney who also does adoptions. Terminating child support is not assimple as your post implies.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.