Can a child support obligation be completely negated if both parents agree and submit paperwork to the court in Oregon?

Asked 11 months ago - Eugene, OR

Non custodial parent lives in Colorado (military) and custodial parent lives in Oregon. If they submit a modification to the court and they both agree, can a child support order be completely eliminated? Both parties have since remarried. The non custodial parent is signing over parental rights to one of the children to the stepfather (the other child does not want to be adopted by the stepfather). Because of the financial means afforded the custodial parent by the new spouse, they have agreed to eliminate child support as well as any financial responsibility for either child once a judge has signed off. As far as I can tell from what I've read on the Oregon page for child support, there shouldn't be any issue. Can you confirm?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Diane L Gruber


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . When stepdad adopts the child ALL future child support is terminated. This requires a consultation with a family law attorney who also does adoptions. Terminating child support is not assimple as your post implies.

    Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,964 answers this week

2,991 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,964 answers this week

2,991 attorneys answering