Can a child grandparents fight for custody if the mother is not doing the right thing for the child?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Atlanta, GA

My cousin died leaving his kid with the baby mother. He's not doing good in school. He doesn't seem to care about anything. She don't do what a mother suppose to do for their kid, she takes the check and spend on her and not him. DEFACS had to step in. I just need to know what rights do the paternal grandparents have.

1. Damon Sharad Bivek

Answered . The paternal grandparents have significant rights and options. You can file for temporary guardianship of the child immediately, so that he can be properly taken care of while the mother gets her act together. I urge you to speak to an attorney about this issue, and provide some more details about your situation so that you can get the help (and your grandson can get the supervision and guidance) that you both need. Many law firms, like my own, offer free initial consultations.