Can a child be taken away from their mother?

Asked about 4 years ago - West Chester, PA

My brother claims that i'm an unfit parent. What would he need to prove that i;m unfit? I have a stable job and home and take very good care of my children. He is upset because I found out that he was abusing his daughter with a belt and called the police about it and now he claims that I am unfit to take care of my kids. Please help!


Attorney answers (2)

  1. Karen Ann Ulmer


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Your brother would have to report that you are unfit to the Department of Child Services in your area. They must conduct an interview with you regardless of whether or not there is suspected abuse. They will come out to your home to interview you and the child. If they find nothing, the case is closed. If they suspect neglect, abuse, etc., they will then make a report and they can file to have your child put in foster care or use another relative as a resource. Do not let your brother intimidate you. If there is nothing going on in your home, his threats are meaningless. He has no standing to sue for custody and unless the Department of Children and Youth find an issue, it will go no further.

  2. Andrew Daniel Myers

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The answer to the hypothetical question is yes. However, obviously there are many more facts than those in the posting that would determine the outcome. This answer is provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law in which your concern lies.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now