Can a check be used twice within a month by same company for the exact same amount when I didn't authorize using same?

Lewisburg, TN |

A company used a check number provided in March 20ll & April 2011 with the exact same charge. I will be contacting my bank as soon as I can on the next business day. In the meantime, this has caused me to be overdrawn. I suspect my bank will get my account back as it should be. In the meantime, does this company owe me additional money for my stress & aggravation? How can I prevent this company from doing this again to me without any additional charges to be made by me?

BY now you've probably taken care of this. Generally you don't get any compensation for stress and aggravation for something like this.

If you've authorized a business to automatically deduct charges from your checking account, then cancel that authorization in writing, and keep a record of that cancellation, and close the bank account if you really aren't sure that the charges will stop.

I'm only licensed in CA. Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.