Can a Cemetery move a body for non-payment of the opening and closing of a grave?

Asked about 2 years ago - Richmond, IN

My sister passed away suddenly last year in Indiana, she did not have burial insurance. A family friend donated their plot for my sister. My sisters two grown children made arrangements to make payment for the opening and closing of the grave. Apparently they have not been making payments. I live in Oklahoma, my Mother called and told me the cemetery is threatening to dig up and move my sister for non-payment. I emailed them and ask if they had the legal right to do that. They emailed me back and said, they do. My question is, if the plot is payed for, can the cemetery move my sister for non-payment of the opening and closing of the grave?

1. Tassma Ann Powers

Pro

2

Answered . I encourage your family to decide which of you is going to deal with this and then proactively work with cemetery. They may be responsive to payment arrangements and working this out, rather than expending additional time. It is important to remain in communication and pay as agreed.

2. James P. Frederick

1

Answered . What does it say in the funeral contract? What are the cemeteries rights in the event of a breach of contract? While this sounds like a repulsive practice, the cemetery really has very little leverage in a case like this, where they have already provided all services. They deserve to be paid for their services, just like anyone else.

James Frederick