Skip to main content

Can a case be resolved before the hearing date?

Lehighton, PA |

a friend was charged with agg assault, simple assault, reckless endangerment. he waived his preliminary hearing and now awaiting further disposition. is it possible to expedite the case if all charges are dropped or does he have to wait til his case is called up?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. The crucial question is why he waived his preliminary hearing. The case is now in the court of common pleas and will be put on a trial list. He must have had an attorney so questions concerning strategy and resolving the case prior to trial should be directed to that attorney.

  2. I too am mystified by the waiver of the prelim. Was that done with the "assistance" of counsel? You asking questions about getting the charges dropped; the preliminary hearing is the first and most logical place for that to occur. It is also the time and place where the defensive effort is commenced. Without the representation of a qualified criminal defense, the chances of having the charges dropped after the preliminary hearing are rather slim.

  3. To answer your question, a case may be dropped by the Commonwealth at any time. He may have then wait to go in front of the judge to get ride of the case on the record, officially.

    Please feel free to check us out at

    Attorney Michael Kotik, Esq.
    Two Penn Center (Philadelphia)
    1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 220
    Philadelphia, PA 19102

    Answers are not of fact, but rather the opinion of the attorney answering the questions asked. At no time does this answer create an attorney-client relationship. To the extent that these answers may become available to the general public there is no confidentiality as it pertains to this answer or question. The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. Prior to acting based upon this general information you SHOULD seek legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of the attorneys from The Lawyer answering this question does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. Attorney is Licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey. If you have any questions please contact my office at 215-564-1010. Lawyer Michael Kotik | | 1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 220. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19102