Can a care facility give a patient another patients narcotics? Is this legal

Asked about 1 year ago - Portland, OR

My wife is in a care facility and takes pain meds. The facility ran out of her meds and had to order more. So instead of waiting for the pharmacy order they gave her another patients narcotics which was double her dose time release. Can they give her another patients prescription???????

1. Christopher Edward Ezold

Pro

4

Answered . Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies, unless otherwise specified.

That being said, no, they cannot. There are two issues; first, the pain meds used were not hers, but the property of another person. Second, and more importantly, it appears that they gave her a dosage and medication that was not prescribed for her. It would be illegal to do so. If there was no harm done to your wife, then there may be no claim worth bringing. However, the action of the facility and/or its personnel is concerning and should be addressed.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me at the below address(es) or telephone number.

/Christopher E. Ezold/
    The Ezold Law Firm, P.C.
    One Belmont Avenue,
    Suite 501
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
    (610) 660-5585
    Cezold@Ezoldlaw.com
    www.ezoldlaw.com