Can a car rental company force me to get their insurance when I rent a car in Orlando?

Orlando, FL |

I recently went to a car rental company and they asked for my insurance information. They mentioned that I HAVE to get their insurance, and didn't accept the credit card's insurance, which covers up to $25,000 for any damage on the car. I asked to see their policy which says I have to get their coverage, but they were unable to provide me with that information. On my rental agreement, there's nothing saying I have to get their coverage. Isn't this illegal?

Absolutely not. However, you must have your own insurance otherwise. A credit card's insurance is not the same and does not necessarily include personal injury protection. If you have an actual car insurance (for example State Farm, Geico, Allstate, Direct, etc...) then you can decline the insurance from the rental company. If you don't have car insurance then the rental company would likely refuse to give you a rental without paying for their insurance.

There is nothing illegal about a car rental agency refusing to give you a rental car if it is unrelated to your race, religion, or gender.

This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

Thank you for the information. I had proof of insurance and I had a representative at Liberty Mutual Insurance talk to the person at the car rental agency, but he still said "you have to get our rental insurance or you cannot rent the car".

Eric J Trabin

Eric J Trabin

Try a different car rental agency. I rented a car here in Orlando earlier this week and refused their insurance.

The rental company can refuse to rent you a car if you don't meet its insurance requirements. They could also set very high standards for insurance--say, a million dollar combined single limits policy--but they would price themselves out of the market.

They are looking for liability insurance for your driving the car, usually associated with YOUR car insurance and not credit card protections. Generally, this is a matter of contract and they can make such provisions, leaving you to find a rental company that has different criteria if you disagree.

No but it will look to your insurance if there is an accident. It's always nice to have a second layer of insurance that is primary. Airing on the side of caution, if you have the money purchase it.

The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements and the answers provided herein. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information provided by this website is not intended, nor should it be construed, to be legal advice. Your use of this website, and/or the sending of information to the Pike & Lustig, LLP-TURNPIKE LAW does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Please do not send us any confidential or privileged information until such time that an actual attorney/client relationship is actually established by an executed contract.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant