CAN A CAR DEALER ASK FOR THE CAR BACK AFTER YOU DRIVE OFF AND SIGNED PAPERS?

Asked over 5 years ago - Downey, CA

I bought a car from a dealer on a Saturday. When they ran my credit, the advised I get a co-signer to help me with the loan, which I did. After signing all the paper and my co- signer doing the same, the dealer is now calling me 4 weeks after I’ve driven the car away, saying that they can’t finance us and wants us to find other ways to pay for the car or return it. Can they do that even after signing all the paper work and taking my down payment. If they weren’t going to finance me, why didn’t tell me before they let me drive off???

Thank for your advice.

Karl Schott

Downey Ca.

1. Lu Ann Trevino

Pro

Answered . I am not licensed to practice law in your state.

These comments are made for educational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.

This happens often these days due to tight credit. If you look at the bottom of your sales document you will probably find language that says the sale is contingent on obtaining financing for you. So yes they car ask for the car or even repo, but you are entitled to return of your down payment. They may ask for you to pay some small amount ofr the number of miles you drove while you had the car.