Skip to main content

Can a Canadian live in the US but work in Canada without permanent residency status?

Bellingham, WA |
Filed under: Immigration

I am a US citizen and am about to marry a Canadian. We both live very close to the border in our respective countries. Is it possible for her to live with me in the US but continue to work in Canada while we are waiting for the permanent residency paperwork to go through? I understand she could stay as a visitor, but she will need to cross the border each day for work.

Attorney Answers 1


I was born in BC and now lie in WA. Several of my family members have lived through this. The agents at the border crossing (pick any of the four in Whatcom county, I like the one in Lynden) are very helpful on her legal rights to stay, what paperwork she will need. To give you a heads up staying in the US as a "visitor" and commuting each way for work until the residency paperwork comes through doesn't work well in their scheme.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics