Can a biological father get temporary sole custody of a child ?

My son's biological father did not signed my son's birth certificate with his legal name, He gave my son a last name that is not his legal one, he obtained temporary sole custody of my son with his legal name. Is it legal that he received temporary sole custody without even proving that he is my son's biological father since he had one name at my son's birth and then claim my son with a different name???

Bronx, NY -

Attorney Answers (2)

David Alexander Browde

David Alexander Browde

Family Law Attorney - Chappaqua, NY

Under some circumstances, yes. you should discuss the situation in detail with a local family law attorney.

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown

Family Law Attorney - Brooklyn, NY

A proper answer requires a review of the court order that awarded temporary custody. Upon review of the order, it will then be possible for an attorney to determine whether there is a legally appropriate plan to have the order reversed. You can find attorneys in your area by searching among the profiles here on Avvo. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@... more

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.