Can a beneficiary take the executor to court to get money from estate?

Louisburg, NC |

My g-mother passed away in April, and my mother is the executor of the estate. There are 3 beneficiaries involved and so far, $50K/each has been paid from the estate to these three. Because the will stipulated that all the land and the house be sold and split 3 ways, the estate can not be closed out completely. One of the beneficiaries is saying he's going to take the executor to court to get the rest of his money. Can he do that? Funds have to be left in the account to pay taxes, etc. and until everything is sold. Right?

Anyone can take you to court. Question is do they have a valid claim. From the facts you present, it sounds like everything is being correctly. Is this through a Will or Trust? If through a will, this should already be in the probate court. The beneficiary is welcome to make their case to the probate court. If this with a trust, then the powers the trustee has should be stipulated in the trust document. If you have any concerns with a trust, contact a local attorney and have them make sure all the administration is being done properly.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.

He can do whatever he wants to do, but from what you state this estate administration is being handled correctly.
By the way, I wonder whether this person would want to give back any funds that he forces to be paid, if they have to be paid back to the estate to cover taxes or debts or any other unforeseen expense? I bet not.
His position is a bunch of hooey.

Hope this helps.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is only in the form of legal education and is intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

A beneficiary can go to court and make a claim if an executrix is acting improperly, but from what you are relaying, I don't think that the beneficiary who is threatening to take legal action will prevail. Probate is a long, drawn out procedure. If the will stated that the property had to be sold, then the estate can't be closed until this is accomplished. Given the economy home sales are a bit sluggish, so I don't believe the court will find that the executrix at fault. Funds do have to be left in the account to pay taxes and other costs. Patience is necessary in these situations.

Wills and estates topics