Can a Bar Attorney represent someone who does not claim to be a "U.S. Citizen" or " Resident" or any other title of personage

Orlando, FL |

I mean is there some reason an attorney would say well " I cant sign a contract with you as your not eligible for the benefits" or something like that.

1. Over one half of my clients are non-resident aliens living outside the US, both individuals and companies. The phrase "title of personage" has no meaning to me.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

2. Foreigners or non residents of a particular country (called also by the US immigration code "aliens", from Latin "alienus" and Greek "Allos", meaning alter, or belonging to another) are human beings enjoying basic rights almost in the majority of jurisdictions and bounded by the same rules that citizens have to abide by. For example, an alien allegedly committing a crime in NY will be prosecuted in NY because he/she may have allegedly violated a NY statutes. Similarly, a Newyorker in Switzerland allegedly committing a crime in that country may be subject to their proceeding and substantive rules. In many jurisdictions, attorneys are free to decide whether to take a case or not, but in the majority of jurisdictions foreigners and non residents may benefit of a similar level of protection that the law insure to nationals.

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

3. Sounds to me like the attorney thought he had no legal grounds to pursue the action you wanted him to take.

Either that or, given your previous response to Mr. Doland, he thought you would be a problem client. Avvo isn't the end-all of a lawyer's aptitude, but someone rated 10.0 on here is usually pretty good.

My response to this question does not mean I agree to represent you in any proceedings. This information is also not subject to attorney-client privilege.

4. This is a strange question. Practically all of my clients are non US citizens and non US resident. I am a US attorney (being a member of the Florida and Ohio bars) practicing law in the UK and if there was a rule preventing US lawyers from representing foreign nationals I could never have come to the UK to practice. When the attorney you spoke to gave such a clearly false answer he was it appears simply trying to avoid having to deal with the matter at all.

5. Yes, while persons without lawful permanent resident status or citizenship in the U.S. may not be entitled to government-appointed counsel, they are free to retain and pay for their own attorney.

International law topics