Can a Bar Attorney represent someone who does not claim to be a "U.S. Citizen" or " Resident" or any other title of personage

Asked over 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

I mean is there some reason an attorney would say well " I cant sign a contract with you as your not eligible for the benefits" or something like that.

1. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

6

1

Answered . Foreigners or non residents of a particular country (called also by the US immigration code "aliens", from Latin "alienus" and Greek "Allos", meaning alter, or belonging to another) are human beings enjoying basic rights almost in the majority of jurisdictions and bounded by the same rules that citizens have to abide by. For example, an alien allegedly committing a crime in NY will be prosecuted in NY because he/she may have allegedly violated a NY statutes. Similarly, a Newyorker in Switzerland allegedly committing a crime in that country may be subject to their proceeding and substantive rules. In many jurisdictions, attorneys are free to decide whether to take a case or not, but in the majority of jurisdictions foreigners and non residents may benefit of a similar level of protection that the law insure to nationals.

2. Michael Charles Doland

6

Answered . Over one half of my clients are non-resident aliens living outside the US, both individuals and companies. The phrase "title of personage" has no meaning to me.

3. Kevin Michael Burke

3

Answered . This is a strange question. Practically all of my clients are non US citizens and non US resident. I am a US attorney (being a member of the Florida and Ohio bars) practicing law in the UK and if there was a rule preventing US lawyers from representing foreign nationals I could never have come to the UK to practice. When the attorney you spoke to gave such a clearly false answer he was it appears simply trying to avoid having to deal with the matter at all.

4. Alan Smith

Pro

2

Answered . Sounds to me like the attorney thought he had no legal grounds to pursue the action you wanted him to take.

Either that or, given your previous response to Mr. Doland, he thought you would be a problem client. Avvo isn't the end-all of a lawyer's aptitude, but someone rated 10.0 on here is usually pretty good.

5. Ksenia Alexandrovna Maiorova

2

Answered . Yes, while persons without lawful permanent resident status or citizenship in the U.S. may not be entitled to government-appointed counsel, they are free to retain and pay for their own attorney.