Can a bank take your house if you finance a car through them and later on are unable to make your car payments?

Bandy, VA |
Filed under: Debt

The details are that I want to buy a car but need my mom to cosign. She owns her own house and is afraid that if I later am unable to make the payments that they will take her house.

The car loan is seperate from your mortgage loan; so a default on one is not a default on the other. Now, if you get a judgment against you on the car, a lien can be placed against your home. I do not practice in your state, but see my website under garnishment for some assistance. You should see a consumer lawyer in your area. For a consumer lawyer in your area, go to

Want to know the law? Sign up for our free newsletter on varies areas of the law by sending an email to and requesting the newsletter, or go to

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt