Can a bank change my home's door lock before the foreclosure sale date?

Asked over 4 years ago - Cape Coral, FL

I am in the process of foreclosure, with a scheduled sale date of November 17, 2009. I am trying to avoid it by paying the past-due balance before that day. However, the bank recently went to my house and changed the door lock on it, saying that the house looked abandoned. I think this is wrong, but is there a law against it in Florida?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Christopher J. Coleman

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . A mortgage may provide the mortgagee with the right to prevent "waste" to the security of the loan (the property). The right to posession to the real property is yours until the actaul foreclosure and issuance of a certificate of title or until there is a court order providing posession or abandonment by the mortgagor. If your lender has changed the locks you normally are provided a contact number by the persons changing the lock you should contact them if the property has not been abandoned. You also should contact your lender to advise that the property has not been abandoned. If neither is sucussful you should notify the court of the lender's action and request posession of the property be returned to you.

    This situation is complex and no legal opinion can be expressed concerning the outcome of any litigation or planning without a full consideration of the facts and legal research. This answer is given solely as general information and is not a substitute for a legal consultation, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between you and either the writer or his law firm.

  2. David Michael Goldman


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . While it is possible for a lender to do this, we often see that the loans were invalid or transferred invalidly and as such they do not have this right. You should review your loan and situation with a Florida Foreclosure Lawyer to see what your options are.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now