Can a bank account in my daughters name effect my PA?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fitchburg, MA

My daughters grandmother wants to open an account for my daughter, in my daughter and my mothers names. I recive welfare, and foodstamps. Will this account effect that? I think it will, but I want to double check. I can not afford to lose this help. She is 18 months old.

1. Adam Peter Phipps

Answered . I do not know the anwser to your specific question, I'm sorry. I would suggest that you do a couple of things to protect yourself: 1) ask GM to put the account in her name only, 2) I would call Volunteer legal services, Neighborhood legal services, Greater Boston legal services, The disability law center, and google pro bono agencies in massachusetts. Since you are obviously in great financial distress they may be able to help you directly. Lastly, I would consider calling the agencies involved in your specific benefits and ask hypothetically if the scenario were to play out how that would affect your benefits for you and your child.

I wish you the very best of luck on this and in the future!

2. Jefferson W. Boone

Pro

Answered . It may depend on the type of assistance you are receiving. Some have a family assets qualification; others are based only on your personal assets and income. If the amount is modest, it shouldn't make any difference.

However, I think that if your mother sets up a trust account, which you do not have access to (and which your daughter, by definition, could not possibly have any control over until she is 18, it might work well for you and not affect your benefits. Another way to do it would be to have your mother check out college savings plans and/or education IRA's (Coverdell IRA).

These trust accounts would be under your mother's tax ID number, not yours. Your daughter would be a beneficiary, but her tax ID number would probably not appear on any statements.

My colleague has a good idea about asking for information. Adding to that, you can probably determine the effects of your mother's gifts or whatever online by referencing each program you are receiving benefits from and looking for "Qualiofications", FAQ's, "Assets", etc. This would be anonymous.

Also, look at the applications, to see if you would have to disclose your mother's assistance to your daughter. The one thing you can't afford to do is fail to disclose something you are supposed to disclose or lie, even by omission. On the other hand, you needn't answer questions which aren't asked.