Can a bail bondsman put a warrant out for my arrest if i haven't paid a bond i co-signed for?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Okmulgee, OK

I co-signed for this guy i know to bond out of jail. He got sentenced to a year in jail. Now i owe 350 to a bail bondsman. I haven't been able to pay the bondsman because i am unemployed at this time. I was told the bondsman is now looking for me and has issued a warrant for my arrest. Can the bondsman really do this to me?

1. John E. Gross

1

Answered . A bail bondsman cannot issue a warrant for your arrest- only judges and magistrates can do that. The bondsman may be looking for you for payment, but he cannot issue a warrant.

2. Howard Woodley Bailey

Pro

Answered . I agree with my colleague. The bondsman cannot issue a warrant. On the other hand he can come after you civilly for the payment. Good luck.

DISCLAIMER I do not practice law in your State. This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.