Can a attorney or advocate represent a mentally disabled person? Where can one be obtained?

New York, NY |

This is a debt collection case where the defendant harassed plaintiff #2 whom is learning disabled in which the judge highly recommended that a attorney be obtained due to plaintiff #2 mental capacity. Attorney stated she could represent Plaintiff #1 but not sure if she could present Plaintiff# 2 due to the probability of not being able to comprehend all the questions he may be asked.

If the person is severely disabled, then he should have a guardian appointed. If the person is not dis led, then consult wo an attorney.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

He's not severely disabled by no means, just learning disabled whom cognitive skills are affected. He does have the ability with understanding and answering some questions but the judge feels that she may not understand some of the slick questions that the defendants may try to ask him.

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Have plaintiff 2 speak with an attorney about representation.

They are going to this week.

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Good

Just because someone is learning disabled does not mean that person gives up any of their rights to be free from harassment in debt collection matters. One might argue that that is all the more reason that such a disabled person ought to have legal counsel.

If there is a guardian for this individual or a person with Power of Attorney the guardian or POA should be consulted. Different people have different capacities to understand questions including those with learning disabilities. I am sure there are social services agencies that could help you find an attorney for your purposes. I am sorry to say I do not know where to suggest you begin your search. Make sure the attorney is competent to handle Fair Debt Collection Practices Act cases because the harassment sounds like the type of case you are dealing with.

The information contained in this posting is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The furnishing of this information does not create an attorney client relationship. An attorney client relationship requires the furnishing, review, and signing of a retainer agreement.

Oh no, by no means is the mother is giving up his rights. This case involves a mother and a son and the mother initiated the complaint which survived and now in discovery. Her case was highly praised by the judge since it being Pro Se. As stated the lawyer is definitely taking the case but are meeting with the plaintiffs to assess plaintiff #2. His capability to answer questions are good but the judge is concerned with him not comprehending certain question that may be asked by the defendants in which could be very tricky for plaintiff #2. The attorney is a highly recommended consumer law attorney for sure that handles FDCPA, TCPA cases. Thank you for answering the question and we've found a few agencies that offers attorney services for the mentally disabled and will call them tomorrow.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt