Can a 28 year old male engage in sexual activity with a 17 year old female in Washington State?

Asked over 1 year ago - Mount Vernon, WA

Hello, I recently started seeing this female for over a month, and to my surprise she had told me that she was 17 years of age about 3 weeks into me knowing her. By then, I had grown some affection towards her and now I am curious if it is completely legal to engage into any sexual contact with her? I looked into some of the laws, but I am having trouble interpreting it.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A...

The age of consent is 16 here in Washington State, but it says things about 60 months or older becomes illegal? I would love some clarification on this. Thank you.

1. 2

1

Answered . First, please do NOT post any more information about your case here, as this is a public forum. Protect yourself from any potential charges by keeping the rest of your information private.

Now, although the young woman you speak of may legally be of age to consent, if there are parents (or friends, or teachers, etc.) who take a dislike to you and decide that they want to "get you," you could be facing a charge of "Communication With A Minor for Immoral Purposes." It doesn't mean that you'd be charged with sexual intercourse with the young lady, but rather that you had "communication" with her for the purpose of committing a sexual act. I have seen this charged in situations just like yours when statutory rape is out of the question due to the age of the "victim." It's a misdemeanor charge (maximum 364 days jail and $5,000 fine), but it carries the requirement that you register as a sex offender. That is NOT something that you want to expose yourself to!

Your best bet is to avoid sexual contact with anyone under the age of 18. If you were sitting in my office, I would give you the "come to Jesus" talk and tell you to that you have no business dating anyone so young.

2. Answered . You probably cannot be charged for child molestation in this circumstance, but there may be other charges that could be filed. If you want to be safe and save yourself a huge world of trouble, wait until she is 18 years old to enter into any kind of intimate relationship.