Can a 25 year old guy from abroad (UK) visit his 17 year old girlfriend in Florida. Will I get in trouble?

Orlando, FL |
Filed under: Criminal defense

We have met when she came for holidays in UK, here as far as I know is not illegal. Now I want to visit her in Florida, will I get in trouble if her parents find out. I know is very strict the laws in US. What is the best think to do?

1. What kind of trouble? There are no laws prohibiting visiting girlfriends or boyfriends in the US.

713-772-2300. All information provided is general in nature. Please consult with an immigration attorney with full details of the case.

2. Sure you can visit. However, I think you are asking whether or not you can have sex with her while in Florida, and the answer is absolutely not. It is a second degree felony where you face up to 15 years in prison. Once she turns 18 then it is fully legal.

3. If your talking about sexual relations than the answer is you can get into serious trouble. The legal age of consent in Florida is 18.

4. A visit is fine. If what you mean by "visit" is a sexual contact then the local age of consent (in Florida 18) governs.

Of course every answer is based on the question asked and requires a more complete context. This answer should not be relied upon to make a legal decision. Seek the advice of an experienced attorney before acting.

5. It depends upon what happens at this "visit". I would check the age of consent under FLA. law to make sure there is not a statutory rape issue if the "visit" is more than just talking to each other.... In Tennessee solicitation of a minor or statutory rape is an immigration aggravated felony. That means deportation and mandatory detention.... Sorry for the "conservative" answer but you need to be careful.