Can a 25 year old guy from abroad (UK) visit his 17 year old girlfriend in Florida. Will I get in trouble?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Orlando, FL

We have met when she came for holidays in UK, here as far as I know is not illegal. Now I want to visit her in Florida, will I get in trouble if her parents find out. I know is very strict the laws in US. What is the best think to do?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Craig A. Epifanio

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Sure you can visit. However, I think you are asking whether or not you can have sex with her while in Florida, and the answer is absolutely not. It is a second degree felony where you face up to 15 years in prison. Once she turns 18 then it is fully legal.

  2. Sean Lewis

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It depends upon what happens at this "visit". I would check the age of consent under FLA. law to make sure there is not a statutory rape issue if the "visit" is more than just talking to each other.... In Tennessee solicitation of a minor or statutory rape is an immigration aggravated felony. That means deportation and mandatory detention.... Sorry for the "conservative" answer but you need to be careful.

  3. William D. Fong

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . What kind of trouble? There are no laws prohibiting visiting girlfriends or boyfriends in the US.

    713-772-2300. All information provided is general in nature. Please consult with an immigration attorney with full... more
  4. Ronald S. Pichlik

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . If your talking about sexual relations than the answer is you can get into serious trouble. The legal age of consent in Florida is 18.

  5. Raymond George Wigell


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . A visit is fine. If what you mean by "visit" is a sexual contact then the local age of consent (in Florida 18) governs.

    Of course every answer is based on the question asked and requires a more complete context. This answer should... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,058 answers this week

3,077 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,058 answers this week

3,077 attorneys answering