Skip to main content

Can a 22 year old guy have sex with a 17 year old girl in Georgia?

Dalton, GA |

And if she gets pregnant what will happen to the guy

Attorney Answers 3


JUST sex? Sure. But there's lots of other things with a minor that will get him in trouble: curfew, drugs, alcohol, sexting, delinquency, etc.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees




No drugs no alcohol the only thing would be sex and if girl gets pregnant what will happen to the guy can he go to jail.

John Arnold Steakley

John Arnold Steakley


The age of consent in Geprgia is sixteen. If a child is conceived, the guy faces 18 years of child support payments. The girl's future choices of education and occupation will be limited by the fact she has a child. In other words, it's not worth the risk.


"An unmarried person commits the offense of fornication when he voluntarily has sexual intercourse with another person and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished as for a misdemeanor." O.C.G.A. Section 16-6-18 If she gets pregnant, the "guy" will become the father of a bastard. The child will always be a bastard. For what it is worth, the age of consent for sexual intercourse in Georgia is 16. O.C.G.A. Section 16-6-3

Answers to questions on this web site are for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Unless you and Troy W. Marsh, Jr. have signed a written contract, Troy W. Marsh, Jr. is not your attorney, and you are not his client.

Mark as helpful


The legal age of consent for sexual activity in Georgia is 16. That does not mean her parents could not seek to have you charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor or interference with custody under certain circumstances. If she gets pregnant, the 21 year old can be made to pay child support for the next 18 to 20 years, and will have no rights to even see the child unless he files to legitimate the child.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP EMAIL:, OFFICES: 53 W. Candler St., Winder, Ga. 30680, 106 Washington Street, Jefferson, Ga. 30549, Or 718 Oak St. Gainesville, Georgia. PHONE: (770) 307-4899 or (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

Mark as helpful

Child support topics

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics