Can a 21 year old date a 16 year old in the state of Indiana?

Patriot, IN |

21 year old male emotional and physical relationship with a 16 year old female is it legal in state of Indiana.

1. The age of consent in Indiana is 16.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

2. legal? Possibly. Wise? Not at all for the 16 year old.

3. The age difference is concerning. Even though a 16 year old can consent to be in a relationship, there are many ways that the adult can find him or herself in legal trouble. Depending on the nature of texts and/or photographs that might be in your possession or her possession, you could be charged with other types of sex offenses, i.e. child exploitation. Also, if you are or were in a position of trust with the person (assistant coach, teacher, etc.) you could be in violation of the law. You should find a relationship with someone 18 years or older and you will avoid many potential legal pitfalls.