Can a 19 year old go into a domestic partnership without the consent of her parents?

New York, NY |

Will the parents be able to press legal charges against the boyfriend who is 21?

1. Yes

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

2. Yes. In NY, age of consent for sexual relationships is 17, and custody jurisdiction ends at 18.

As far as parental financial support obligations, those extend to 21 potentially, but being self-supporting and in a domestic partnership probably qualifies as "emancipation", in which case, you're on your own.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

3. Yes, the 19-year-old can marry or enter into a domestic partnership. No, the parents cannot press any charges just for marrying the 19yo.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Child custody topics