Can a 18 year old on juvenile probation move out of the parents home

Asked 8 months ago - Conyers, GA

i am 17 i turn 18 next month how do i go about leaving the legal way

1. Daniel Ellis Rice

2

Answered . As part of your probation, you may be required to remain with your parents after you turn age 18, unless there is possibly a suitable alternative arrangement you could exercise. Any attempt to change where you are residing as long as you are subject to probation needs to be done with the consent or authorization of the probation officer, though under some circumstances you may be able to get the court's consent for the move if there is no reasonable justification for the probation officer forcing you to remain in your current location (the court option is merely hypothetical, while consulting your PO is primary in all situations).

2. Daniel Ray Partain

1

1

Answered . If it is a condition of your sentence, then you would have to petition the court to allow you move out of your parent's home. To have a chance to win said motion, you must have a damn good reason other than "I'm 18. I'm an adult, and I don't want to live with Mom & Dad." If you don't have a good one, then you are likely to lose said motion.

3. Kathryn Jones Boortz

1

Answered . A lot depends on the type of probation you are currently on. Some probation cases have very strict conditions which require the juvenile to remain in the parent's home. Others may be more flexible as long as you are abiding by all of the required conditions. The best course of action would be to speak to your probation officer and provide her with an address/location of where you wish to reside when you turn 18.