Can a 17 year old put electricity in their name?

Houston, TX |

Im moving out by myself & need light.. can it be in my name ?

1. No. Electricity, rent, internet. Those all require contracts. And you have to be 18 to legally sign a contract.

This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.

2. You cannot legally enter contracts until you are 18. But I have never had a utility company mention age, other than cable. If you were able to get some poor soul to rent to you, I don't imagine that you will be sitting in the dark for too long.

Ms. Laster practices in Dallas, Denton, Collin and Tarrant Counties. Principal office located in Lake Dallas, Texas. This does not establish an attorney/client relationship.

3. An individual cannot legally enter into a contract until he/she is 18 years of age in this state. Nevertheless, a person can enter and execute an agreement, but it will not be legally binding if they are 17 years of age. However, an electric company may demand payment if it were to be signed or you will to have the power turned on.

In short, if you are 17 years of age and the electric company does not ask your age, you might be able to get the service turned on. If you pay your bill timely, you will not have issues. However, if you fail to pay the bill and you are 17, the contract is non-binding. The power company will cut the power off.

You may want to reconsider putting this off until you are 18.

Good luck!

My response herein is an attempt to give you general information and direction and is not intended to constitute an attorney-client relationship as perceived by state law.

4. Yes, you can provided you have an adult cosigner. If you do not, the power company has no way to enforce the contract since it is unenforceable against a minor (until you turn 18).

The legal information presented at this site is for informational purposes only and should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Your receipt of the information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, a contract for representation by A. Izaak Bozof, Esq. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. This posting is not intended to solicit clients outside the states of Maryland, Connecticut or the District of Columbia, except where the issue is a Federal tax matter (Member: United States Tax Court Bar).