Can a 17 year old put electricity in their name?

Asked 6 months ago - Houston, TX

Im moving out by myself & need light.. can it be in my name ?

1. Maria Sara Lowry

1

Answered . No. Electricity, rent, internet. Those all require contracts. And you have to be 18 to legally sign a contract.

2. Dorothea Elaine Laster

Pro

1

Answered . You cannot legally enter contracts until you are 18. But I have never had a utility company mention age, other than cable. If you were able to get some poor soul to rent to you, I don't imagine that you will be sitting in the dark for too long.

3. Mario L. Vasquez

Pro

Answered . An individual cannot legally enter into a contract until he/she is 18 years of age in this state. Nevertheless, a person can enter and execute an agreement, but it will not be legally binding if they are 17 years of age. However, an electric company may demand payment if it were to be signed or you will to have the power turned on.

In short, if you are 17 years of age and the electric company does not ask your age, you might be able to get the service turned on. If you pay your bill timely, you will not have issues. However, if you fail to pay the bill and you are 17, the contract is non-binding. The power company will cut the power off.

You may want to reconsider putting this off until you are 18.

Good luck!

4. Alexander Izaak Bozof

Answered . Yes, you can provided you have an adult cosigner. If you do not, the power company has no way to enforce the contract since it is unenforceable against a minor (until you turn 18).