Can a 17 year old move out of their parents home in Florida

Asked almost 2 years ago - Steinhatchee, FL

I live in charleston and my daughter moved in with her dad in florida. They don't get along and she wants to live with her cousin and his wife. I say its fine because she is 17. Her dad doesn't want her in Steinhatchee. He wants her to move back with me, which I am also fine with. But she doesn't want to. He has already allowed her to quit school 2 years ago so I dont see the problem. I raised her for the first 15 years by myself. We never did custody, it's always been that they could live with which ever they wanted

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Heather Morcroft

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Has her dad ever had a court ordered determination of paternity or were you married? If not, then you are by law the natural guardian with residential custody and control, and you are the one who gets to make the decision unless he wants to go to court and get an order. Fla. Stat. 744.301(1)

    If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this... more
  2. Brent Allan Rose

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . It's up the parents. (But see Ms. Morcroft's answer.)

    The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy),... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,910 answers this week

3,307 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,910 answers this week

3,307 attorneys answering