Skip to main content

Can a 17 year old legally move out of their home without parental consent in North Carolina?

Boone, NC |

I don't really have any issues with my mother or anything, but I'm graduating in December and I'd like to live with my boyfriend or at least stay the night with him once or twice a week and I'm just wondering if my mom can take legal action or if she can't really do anythng.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Until you turn 18, you are not considered an adult, and your parent has the legal right to determine where you live. The only exception is if you went to court to have yourself declared an emancipated minor, but you would have to show that you are supporting yourself.


If you do not obey your mother, she can file a juvenile petition to have you judicially determined to be "undisciplined." Once you are 18, you are an adult and do what you wish.

Disclaimer: Information posted for educational / informational purposes only. No attorney client relationship created through the use of this web site. Information pertains to the State of North Carolina only. See our website, for more information.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer