Skip to main content

Can a 17-year-old leave home legally in the state of texas without parental consent?

Houston, TX |

I'm 17 years old and want to leave my home without having the police involved and bringing me back home

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


No, until you are 18 or married, or have legally had your disabilities of a minor removed by the court system, you are under the care of your parents and they can force you to return home.

If you wish to petition to be emancipated by the court, you will need to file a motion to do show and show that you can support yourself.


Technically, you cannot leave without your parent's consent until age 18, however, as long as they know where you are, they cannot claim you are a runaway. It is a conflict in the way the laws are written, which kind of leaves you in limbo. A whole lot depends on which cop answers your parent's call as to what will happen.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer