Can a 17 year old leave home and move out of state legally?

Asked over 5 years ago - Sebring, FL

My family wants to move out of FL but my son's girlfriend wants to come with us. She is only 17 years old. She will be 18 in July. Can she legally leave her guardians home and move out of state? I do not want to get into trouble for taking her out of the state either.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Lance Martin McKinney

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . Florida sets the age of majority at 18. Until 18, a child can not make legal decisions including choice of residency. A child can become legally emanicpated (become able to make legal decision) by a court prior to turning 18 but must show how they are making their own way. Probably not worth it based on the time frame in which she will turn 18 in a couple of months. The practical point is to discuss with the legal guardian, even if emotionally difficult to see if permission and coordination can be obtained. The other concern is what happens if minor is hurt in another state? Who has authority to consent to medical treatment? This is why you should consult with legal guardian.


Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,569 answers this week

3,395 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,569 answers this week

3,395 attorneys answering