Can a 17 year old have sex with a 20 year old legally in the state of PA?

Conneaut Lake, PA |

The 17 year old turns 18 before the 20 year old turns 21.

In Pennsylvania, the age of consent is 16.
But the 16 year old can not just have sex with anyone, the person they have sex with must not be more than 4 years older than the 16 year old or the older person will face statutory rape charges.

Pennsylvania 18 § 3121

While the previous answer concerning consent and age differences for the purpose of statutory sexual assault may be accurate, the answer to your question does not end there.

In PA, the charge of corruption of minors includes sexual acts engaged in between two people where one is under 18 and the other over 18. This offense is a felony.

Additionally, in December of 2012, amendments were made to Megan's Law in PA, which is the law that defines who is required to register as a sex offender and for how long upon conviction for sex offenses. This amendment was made to bring PA in compliance with SORNA (Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act). As a result of these amendments, a person convicted of Corruption of Minors of a sexual nature will be required to register as a sex offender for 15 years at a minimum.

You should not post any more information in this forum because it is not a confidential setting. Instead, you should immediately contact a criminal defense attorney in your area.

The information provided herein neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor should it be used or relied upon to make any decision in your case. Communications made in open forums are neither made in a confidential setting nor protected by the attorney-client privilege. You should consult directly with an attorney to obtain a full evaluation of your case.

A similar question was asked just a few days ago with excellent answers by my three of my colleagues. I strongly encourage you to scroll back and read their answers.
However, to directly answer your question, the 20 year old adult who has sex with a 17 year old can be charged with corruption of minors; a felony of the third degree.

Daniel M. Myshin

Daniel M. Myshin

Mr. Curry is correct. I add only that in addition to the obvious implications of having a felony conviction, the reporting requirements under Megan's Law are extremely onerous to anyone seeking a job or a place to live. The 20 year old is well advised to wait until his or her partner is an adult.

I think I answered this before. legally yes, but if this is the case where her father is angry at you, you should stay away. I have represented far too many guys who had consensual sex with young women at first, but when the boyfriend or father or brother finds out, rape charges are filed and all of the sudden you are sitting before a jury in your best Sunday suit.